Music Links
Friday 21 November 2008
The Walkmen - In The New Year

Happy New Year! Oh shit, it’s not even Christmas yet and I had been holding this over to announce 2009. But, I love it too much to shelve it until then and I’m a bit odd that way (like preferring Christmas songs in July and such like). To tell you the truth I have a love/hate relationship with the Walkmen, sometimes they press all the right buttons (‘Bows + Arrows’ for e.g. where they displayed some AYWKUBTTOD genius) but sometimes I get a headache searching for the hook which is undoubtedly there but fastidiously hidden amongst the guitar carnage. ‘You & Me’ is their latest opus and as well as arriving really cheaply with profits going to a worthy cause it has tracks like this brightening our day. This has pretty much everything a good Walkmen record should have, Hamilton Leithauser’s signature screech, elegantly turned out rambling guitars and a drifting yet still leading the way percussion section. On such things are made life changing resolutions. KD
Watch The Video To The Rat
More Info: Official & Myspace
Buy Songs: The Walkmen
Year: 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Video of the Week (1/11)
Popular Posts
-
With the self-proclaimed siamese triplets Sack about to jack it all in, up popped Morrissey to proclaim his allegiance. He was as good as hi...
-
Aaah, I’m in love and so will you be once you turn your ears to Ai Phoenix. This song is so delicately crafted it sounds like it’s going to ...
-
If it’s an instrumental with words you’re after then look no further than the ‘Melody of a Fallen Tree’. What would expect from a band that ...
-
With a feather lifted from Roddy Woomble's rapidly disintegrating peak cap (cf 'When I Argue I See Shapes') 'Another Wound...
-
The only question that remains unanswered is how much longer this Dublin band can remain unsigned. This certainly ain't your average run...
-
Organising anything in this country is generally a recipe for thanklessness. Once you get past the begrudgers and naysayers you’ve got to de...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(529)
-
▼
November
(39)
- Nina Hynes - Twinkle
- My First Days On Junk - Heavy Winter, Heavy Snow
- The City and Horses - I Love The Girls
- Stroik - In The Fresh
- The Spook of the Thirteenth Lock - Christchurch, 6...
- Vadadi - Loveless
- Lake - Heaven
- Jon Sebastian - The Pendulum
- Cut Off Your Hands - Happy As Can Be
- Dublin Duck Dispensary - Rabbit In A Hat
- Chairlift - Bruises
- Ride - Sight of You
- The Van Allen Belt - Vancouver
- Villagers - Twenty-Seven Strangers
- This Scarlet Train - Picture Frame
- Automatic Drawing - Appalachia
- The Walkmen - In The New Year
- Low Sea - Couldn't Help Myself
- Utah Carol - I'm Sorry Maria
- Soltero - Out At The Wall
- The Brilliant Trees - Don't Believe The Right
- Alaska In Winter - Berlin
- Cass McCombs - Equinox
- The Parties - Yours And Mine
- Basement Apartment - Into My World
- The Reegs - The Nasty Side
- The Idiots - I Should Go
- Lowfish - Frozen & Broken
- Hush Arbors - Where The Black Bear Hides In The Sky
- Marshmallow Coast - Sail Around The World
- Captain Of Industry - Face Full Of A Head Full Of ...
- Mitchell Museum - Warning Bells
- Simon Says No! - Sleeping Heart
- Halfset - Prairie
- Falcon - The Sandfighter
- Michael Knight - Waves To The Shore
- The Sea Urchins - Pristine Christine
- Stereolab - Neon Beanbag (Atlas Sound Remix)
- A Classic Education - We Can Always Run To Hawaii
-
▼
November
(39)
0 comments:
Post a Comment