Music Links
Friday 8 February 2008
Laura Gibson - Hands In Pockets

Every year the crew behind the music wing of SXSW release a torrent with mp3’s from the bands appearing across Austin. If your bag is traipsing through a mountain of mp3’s (700+) then jump right in but be warned that you’ll have to circumnavigate plenty of dross to turn up gems like ‘Hands In Pockets’. At the point that Laura Gibson appeared I had massacred at least a dozen songs that ranged from badly recorded rockabilly to ear splitting thrash metal. ‘Hands In Pockets’ is a picture of calm, a clutter free misty morning with an alluring chanteuse in place of chirping birds. Gibson is from Portland and recently ditched her solo performances for the full-blown band effect when the wonderfully named 5-piece Musee Mecanique joined her on stage. She also recorded a Daytrotter session which goes to show how highly she is regarded in the right circles. An impressive new voice is emerging. KD
Watch The Video
More Info: Official & Myspace
Buy Songs: Laura Gibson
Year: 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Video of the Week (1/11)
Popular Posts
-
With the self-proclaimed siamese triplets Sack about to jack it all in, up popped Morrissey to proclaim his allegiance. He was as good as hi...
-
Aaah, I’m in love and so will you be once you turn your ears to Ai Phoenix. This song is so delicately crafted it sounds like it’s going to ...
-
If it’s an instrumental with words you’re after then look no further than the ‘Melody of a Fallen Tree’. What would expect from a band that ...
-
With a feather lifted from Roddy Woomble's rapidly disintegrating peak cap (cf 'When I Argue I See Shapes') 'Another Wound...
-
The only question that remains unanswered is how much longer this Dublin band can remain unsigned. This certainly ain't your average run...
-
Organising anything in this country is generally a recipe for thanklessness. Once you get past the begrudgers and naysayers you’ve got to de...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(529)
-
▼
February
(53)
- Electric Penguins - Soft Landing
- Said The Shark - No Getting Over You
- Chapterhouse - Mesmerise
- Birdland - Sleep With Me
- Under Electric Light - This Moment
- Jeremy Warmsley - 5 Verses
- Michael Talbott and The Wolfkings - Goodnight
- Fort Minor - Kenji
- Mansun - Wide Open Space
- Tree Wave - Sleep
- Little Big Adventure - I Want To Be A Villian Too
- Clovis - Mundo
- Samuraj Cities - All Along The Shoreline
- Everyday Should Be A Sonic Holiday
- A Faulty Chromosome - Jackie O
- Molly Shannon, Molly Shannon - Nichelle Nichols
- Fuck Buttons - Bright Tomorrow
- Cats on Fire - I Am The White-Manteled King
- Mumblin' Deaf Ro - The Ballad Of Lonesome Ray James
- Eluvium - Under The Water It Glowed
- Pacific UV - Scarlet
- Immovable Objects - Sheen
- Black Before Red - Underneath Gold
- The Lightning Seeds - Pure
- Boy Genius - Radio Silence
- Say Hi - Toil And Trouble
- Ai Phoenix - He Kisses The Streets I Walk
- The Kingdom - I Am Constellation
- Giovanni McTrapattoni
- Smells Like Theme Spirit - Mixtape
- Anna Ternheim - I'll Follow You Tonight
- Sugar - Come Around
- Monkey Swallows The Universe - Time Will Be Last
- The Botticellis - Up Against The Glass
- Grand Pocket Orchestra - Get Go
- The Dodos - Jodi
- Laura Gibson - Hands In Pockets
- The Bell - On And On
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Straight To You
- Tindersticks - The Flicker Of A Little Girl
- Heartless Bastards - I Swallowed A Dragonfly
- Strawberry Whiplash - Who's In Your Dreams?
- In Tua Nua - All I Wanted
- Springfactory - Get Out Of Bed
- The Motifs - Yours And Mine
- The Liberty Bell - I Need You
- Girls In Hawaii - This Farm Will End Up In Fire
- Jenna Nicholls - Just How Much
- Frightened Rabbit - The Modern Leper
- Peachcake - Stop Acting Like You Know More About T...
- Aster - Attempting To Multiply
- I Concur - Oblige
- These United States - First Sight
-
▼
February
(53)
0 comments:
Post a Comment